My Auntie Cristina is an excellent cook and we often chat and swap recipes over Skype. Auntie has been making these rock cakes for years and she often takes them when she visits friends and relatives - it's a bit of a tradition now. These rock cakes are lovely on their own, but are equally nice sliced with butter or even with marmalade.
- 1 1/3 cups / 200g / 8oz Cake (Self raising) flour
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup / 100g / 4oz Salted butter
- 1/3 cup / 75g / 3oz Extra fine (caster) sugar
- 3/4 cup / 75g / 3oz Cleaned currants or dried fruit
- 1/4 cup / 25g / 1oz Chopped peel
- 1 Egg
- 2 tablespoons Milk
Preparation time about 20 mins.
Rub the butter into the flour until it starts forming a fine crumb texture, then mix in the fruit and peel along with the sugar.
Separately beat the eggs and the milk until smooth and then stir in to the mixture
Drop spoonfuls of the mixture onto greased baking tin(s) or silicone baking mats.
Bake for 15 minutes at 425F or 220C and cool on a wire rack.