A traditional favourite originally from Bakewell in England.
For the pastry:
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 large egg + a little cold water if necessary
For the filling:
- 6 tablespoons of raspberry jam
- 1 3/4 cups of unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
For the icing:
- 2 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 3 tablespoons of water
- Glace cherries to decorate
1. Cut the butter into the flour (you can use a food processor or do this by hand). When you have a fine breadcrumb consistency add the sugar and combine, then add the egg and mix until a dough starts to form. You may need to add a small amount of ice cold water. Turn the pastry onto a floured board and bring it together until smooth and even. Form into a ball and flatten slightly then wrap in cling film and store in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 200C / 400F. Roll out the pastry to fit a 13" x 9" greased baking pan. Spread jam over the pastry, not going too near the sides.
3. Beat the butter and sugar until they're smooth and creamy. Beat in eggs one at a time adding 1 tablespoon of ground almonds after each egg. Add the flour, the remaining almonds and almond extract and stir well. Pour over the jam and spread out to make an even layer.
4. Back for 30-35 minutes until well risen, firm and golden. Remove from the oven and let cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.
5. Mix the icing sugar and water in a bowl to make a thick icing. When the tart is totally cool pour the icing over evenly and decorate with the cherries.