This pasta sauce is quick and easy to make, and forms the basis for many dishes in my family.
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion
- 1/2lb Pork Belly Strips, Stewing Steak, Italian Sausage etc.
- Garlic to taste (I use 6-7 cloves, you might want fewer)
- 1 large can Crushed Tomatoes
1. Finely chop the medium onion
2. Put some olive oil into a saucepan, and use it to cook the onion on a low heat until it turns translucent. DON`T let it burn - if it does you have to start again as the onion will turn everything bitter.
3. Cut up the meat and fry it with the onion.
4. Mince the garlic and add it to the pan. Make sure this doesn't burn. Leave to cook for a few minutes.
5. Add crushed tomatoes, stir the mixture.
6. Put the lid on the pan, and leave to simmer for at least 15 minutes to cook.
You can make this sauce the day before you need it and warm it when you want to make the rest of the dish.
If you make this sauce with ground/minced beef it makes the sauce for spaghetti bolognese, lasagne or canneloni.
If you want to add oregano, add it with the garlic. If you want to add basil instead, add it at the end before you serve the sauce.